Welcome to the Romanian Network for Migration Studies
Set up in 2016, RoMig – the Romanian Network for Migration Studies is a network of Romanian scholars with different disciplinary backgrounds who share an interest in international migration.
Romanian Network for Migration Studies
7th-8th September 2023
In the past three years, Europe has faced significant challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the ongoing war in Ukraine. These events have led to renewed focus on migration as a research field, and have brought attention to migration as a major topic of concern and debate in society. The pandemic has highlighted the importance of essential workers in industries such as care and agriculture, while the war in Ukraine has resulted in the largest refugee flow in Europe since World War II. Given the significant social impact of migration during this period of change, there is a need for a renewed dialogue on migration that involves academics, policy makers, and society across different academic domains and European societies.
The 4th conference of the Romanian Network for Migration Studies (RoMig) will focus on the concept of Migration Dialogue. Through this, we aim to explore the existing and potential connections between research, art, civil society organizations, and policy makers in relation to migration. Romania, a country that has traditionally been known for its large emigration within the European Union, has recently experienced more complex migratory flows, including refugees and irregular crossings, labor migrants from Southeast Asia and the Middle East, and more recently, Ukrainian refugees. This shift from a country of emigration to one of transit and immigration requires a renewed understanding of migration and ongoing inquiries into its role in society.
- Deadline for abstract submission: June 30, 2023 (extended)
- Acceptance decision: July 15, 2023
- Deadline for registration: July 31, 2023
- Dates of RoMig Conference: September 7-8, 2023
- Martina Cvajner, University of Trento
- Giuseppe Sciortino, University of Trento
- Remus Anghel, National University of Political Studies and Public Administration, Bucharest & Romanian Institute of Research on National Minorities
- Alina Botezat, Gh. Zane Institute for Economic and Social Research, Romanian Academy, Iași
- Alin Croitoru, Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu
- Alexandra Deliu, Research Institute for Quality of Life (ICCV), Romanian Academy, Bucharest
- Cristian Încalțărau, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iași
- Mădălina Manoilă, Research Institute for Quality of Life (ICCV), Romanian Academy, Bucharest
- Grațiela Noja, West University of Timișoara
- Ovidiu Oltean, Babeș Bolyai University, Cluj
- Ciprian Pânzaru, West University of Timișoara
- Monica Roman, The Bucharest University of Economic Studies
- Monica Șerban, Research Institute for Quality of Life (ICCV), Romanian Academy, Bucharest
Academics, students and practitioners working in the field of migration and social integration are welcomed to join the RoMig network.
- Migration, ethnicity and identity;
- Migration and development nexus;
- Migration, employment and labour markets;
- Diasporas and remittances;
- Migration, transnationalism and social change;
- The mobility transition pattern;
- Refugee and asylum migration;
- Evolution and effectiveness of migration policies;
- Data sources and their uses in the study of migration;
- Post-pandemic migration;
- Frontier issues of the migration theories and evidence.